Tag Archives | Financing

Analyzing Options for Strengthening Pharmaceutical Systems

To promote informed decision making in selecting appropriate interventions to address complex issues faced by health and pharmaceutical systems, the USAID-funded Systems for Improved Access to Pharmaceuticals and Services (SIAPS) program has prepared this guidance document for technical assistance providers, policymakers, and key stakeholders in pharmaceutical systems to use as they consider system improvements and intervention alternatives. This approach involves active engagement of relevant stakeholders throughout a systematic assessment and comparison of options based on current system considerations, viability of potential interventions in view of their operational characteristics, existing legal and regulatory frameworks, and potential cost implications.

This paper describes an evidence-based approach for the critical and systematic analysis of intervention options in pharmaceutical systems, supported by practical examples and technical annexes that the reader may use to tailor the approach to a variety of technical areas and problems.

Read full story · Comments are closed

Capacity building strategies to improve efficient use of existing resources: The South African experience

The efficient use of existing resources is an essential component of a sustainable and resilient pharmaceutical system. SIAPS-South Africa has used various capacity-building strategies to improve the decision-making process in the selection of cost-effective and affordable medicines for the public sector, and to promote the monitoring and analysis of pharmaceutical expenditure. To that effect, SIAPS-South […]

Read full story · Comments { 0 }

Reevaluation of the HIV Financing Gap in the Framework of SUGEMI Planning for 2013

In 2012, the National Medicines Management Team (Unidad Nacional de Gestión de Medicamentos; UNGM), in coordination with the General Directorate for Control of Sexually Transmitted Infections and AIDS (Dirección General de Control de las Infecciones de Transmisión Sexual y SIDA) and the National Council on HIV and AIDS (Consejo Nacional de VIH y el SIDA; CONAVIHSIDA), carried out the first national quantification and planning exercise for the 2013 purchase of adult antiretrovirals (ARVs) using the Integrated System for Medicine and Supply Management (Sistema Único de Gestión de Medicamentos e Insumos; SUGEMI) methodology. The total requirements for adult ARV medicines were estimated at a value of USD 7,838,869. The Global Fund and CONAVIHSIDA would cover a total of USD 4,029,004, equal to 51 percent of the total financial needs. The financial gap to cover the remaining 49 percent was USD 3, 809,865 (table 1).

Read full story · Comments are closed

Decreasing the Burden of TB Through Collaboration and Streamlined Approaches

The state of tuberculosis (TB) is in a tug-of-war as current challenges threaten to undo past successes. One of the primary hurdles currently facing TB prevention and cure is the emergence of strains that are resistant to at least two of the most effective medicines (rifampicin and isoniazid). So-called drug-resistant (DR)-TB arises when patients are […]

Read full story · Comments { 0 }

Financing New Diagnostics for TB

Although tuberculosis (TB) has existed for thousands of years, new tools for diagnosing and treating it are quickly changing the way in which countries plan TB care and treatment programs. The National Tuberculosis Programs (NTPs) in most low-income countries depend heavily on international donor funding. With recent declines in foreign assistance, however, increased awareness about […]

Read full story · Comments { 2 }